WHAT IS NorLETS?
NorLETS (Norwich Local Exchange Trading Scheme) is a network of people from Norwich and surrounding areas (as far as Diss and Cromer!) who trade skills, services, and goods without money.
Basically you earn local currency (Lokes) for your time, skills or goods and use your Lokes to purchase goods or services from other people on the scheme. When you become a member, you will have a Lokes account with us, so it’s just like a bank — except there’s no money involved, you don’t get charged any interest, you don’t get any nasty letters if you’re in the red, and it’s not run by greedy millionaires!
HOW DOES NorLETS WORK?
- Members trade goods, services and skills — you bake a cake, do some weeding or put up a shelf, you get a haircut or a massage or some home-grown fruit.
- Exchanges do
- Choose how much or how little you trade and what kind of skills, services or goods you wish to offer.
- Members are not expected to be professionally qualified but are expected to offer a reasonable standard.
WHAT DOES NorLETS COST?
The annual membesrship fee is £4.
This is to pay for postage and any printed material that the group needs. The fee to everyone is the same, whether they get information by post or online, and to make it fair, you only pay for the period left between ‘now’ and April of the FOLLOWING year. Additional members at the same address can join for just an extra £1.
WHAT'S ON OFFER?
Some of the current skills available:
- Academic/Career planning — like networking and seeking out opportunities
- Business Plans
- Planning & organisation of fitness training prog.
- Hand-knitted scarves in fine yarns
- Doula support — for pregnancy — trainee doula
- Granny Sitting
- PC or Mac tuition and helpóEmail, internet, word processing — tips, tricks and shortcuts
- Basic painting and tiling jobs
- Baking, esp special diets wheat/gluten free/vegan
- Country wines many types incl ginger, apple, malt
- Organic veg in season
- Gardening/allotment help — couple with gardening skills willing to help out
- Lifesize paper models of birds
- Snooker/Pool Table Fitting — Fully qualified Snooker/Pool Table Fitter
- Accommodation in my home for visiting friends/relatives
- Any odd jobs, including oven cleaning etc
- Sewing — mending & alterations
- Translation — German (native speaker)
- Loan of 2 person back packing tent
- Loan of Hedge trimmer
- Meditation sessions
- Lifts possible & errands
- Environmental Sciences tuition
- Guitar and Bass Tuition
- Singing for beginners
- A more extensive list...
Some of the current skills needed:
Want to know more?
- Filing some stuff that has gone chaotic
- Computer help
- Bicycle maintenance
- DIY help wanted
- Fence painting help
- Occasional help with electrical and other DIY
- Organic produce on an adhoc or regular basis
- Gardening help
- Unusual garden plants
- Model for drawing and painting
- Repair of chiming mantle clock
- Help with making clothes
- Window cleaning
- Loan of garden shredder once or twice a year
- Use of carpet cleaner
- Dog walking — Walking my dog occasionally
- Relaxation (massage/reiki, etc)
- Collections / deliveriesóSomeone to collect / deliver large items on Freecycle
- Occasional lifts
- Extra numeracy & literacy help for 10 year old
- Learning about electronics
- Hair cut
- A more extensive list...
Want to join?
Top of page